Friday, January 1, 2010

This Broken Doorstep

by Carol Lynn Grellas

There is no speed necessary for this journey you’re on;
I'm here on this broken door step,
waiting in cracked cement
holding myself fast between nothingness and you.

Here I stand for years and minutes,
never counting as I’ve seen the cycles change:
the trees losing limbs during my long need.
You are on the way and I know that now

and I'm here on this broken door step.
The swing sways in empty moonlight;
even at the end of my days it will be holding you.
Shoulder to shoulder our flesh will melt.

Here on this broken door step,
waiting in cracked cement,
there lies a rose dropped from a flowering vine.
hopeful it would adorn your palm.

But there's no speed necessary for this journey you’re on;
I am here, on this broken door step,
waiting in the cracked cement.
I am on my way to you walking through bramble

and weeds as I smooth away time,
knowing your suitcase is open,
the moonlight as my flare.

No comments:

Post a Comment